My portfolio is the best way to get to know me. If you want to learn where I've been, what they called me there and how I did it, read on.
University of Oregon
School of Journalism and Communication
September 2010 to June 2014
• Minor in Mathematics
• 3.46 GPA
• PathwayOregon scholarship award recipient ( ~ $48,000)
• Society of College Scholars member
• Four-year trumpet player in the Oregon Marching Band
October 2012 to November 2016
Founder, administrator, webmaster
Organize management with administrator team; coordinated three successful crowdfunding campaigns for an entertainment website; install and edit HTML and CSS files; create custom graphics; manage Twitter and Facebook; organize wiki; keep records of budget, user achievements and site growth using Google Docs.
May 2014 to September 2014
Write and publish engaging news stories for North America's largest The Legend of Zelda fan site; select creative and playful language to convey stories and headlines in artistic ways; list WordPress tags and cite sources and vias; maintain daily contact with team members; scour the web for leads, sources, and news ideas.
June 2013 to June 2014
Design a cohesive and elegant styleguide for all Envision iPad articles; assign projects to team of six designers; develop interactive iPad magazine articles that push the limits of today’s technology; design cover, table of contents and user guide pages; organize DPS articles into a folio and publish to the Cloud; work with other senior staff members to make behind-the-scenes decisions regarding staff hires, budget, deadlines, troubleshooting and publication philosophy.
Create interactive iPad interfaces for a digital magazine using the DPS features of Adobe CS6; work with photographers, videographers and writers to plan interactive elements for designs.
Teach editing procedures to team of ten copyeditors; edit articles for grammar, style and accuracy using Microsoft Word track changes; establish a new Google Docs-based editing system for staff; assign stories to editors and track deadlines.
April 2014 to June 2014
Create interactive layouts for one of the world's first iPad magazines; teach DPS software to other designers; stream videos from Vimeo into designs; work with writers, photographers and videographers to plan and collect content to feature in the magazine; travel to out-of-town interviews and photoshoots; meet design deadlines.
Work closely with editors-in-chief to edit all copy for the magazine, including final stories, bylines, photo captions, and other copy that appears to supplement the design; edit copy shared with Google Docs; edit for AP Style, grammar and factual accuracy.
January 2013 to December 2013
Print and web designer
Design magazine spreads for a culture-focused, award-winning magazine; create infographics and webpages for a Wordpress site; collaborate with story groups to unify an article's presentation; meet weekly design deadlines.
September 2010 to December 2013
Maintain a dedicated attitude and commitment to the band's success. Memorize music and drill steps for halftime and pregame shows. Memorize music for various performances, including in the stands at football games. Diligently rehearse music and drill while focusing on improving visual technique. Develop personal sound while maintaining blending and balancing with the rest of the band. Help other band members learn; our shows are a team effort and require commitment from all performers. Care for rented instrument and uniform equipment.
Statesville Record & Landmark
Septmember 2015 to present
Statesville, North Carolina
• Cover breaking news including traffic accidents, fires, shootings and election results.
• Promote newspaper articles and interact with sources using Facebook and Twitter.
• Explore long-form journalism including investigations into racial policing, childhood poverty and local history.
• Compose daily and weekly listings of crime and public safety reports including felony arrests, prison releases and weekly top bond amounts.
The Sanford Herald
November 2015 to September 2016
Sanford, North Carolina
• Investigate and write daily bylines for a city newspaper with a circulation of 15,000, covering police, government, education and environment beats.
• Establish a wide list of contacts with local politicians and businesspeople.
• Attend events, often on weekends. Write weekend obituaries.
• Conduct interviews, write headlines, and take photographs daily.
• Publish using NewsEdit Pro, IQue and BLOX CMS software.
• Promote newspaper with Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and email.
May 2014 to December 2015
• Write and edit daily articles for a website with 100,000+ readers, including news, reviews, live blogs, interview Q&As and features.
• Assist site content planning and make decisions regarding site branding.
• Boosted readership threefold during tenure with focus on quality and SEO.
• Publish text, video and images using WordPress, focusing on SEO.
• Post and engage with readers on Twitter and Google+.
Thompson Kessler Wiest & Borquist PC
February 2015 to June 2015
• Scan, organize and upload client tax files to computer database.
• Assist accountants with spreadsheets, mail and special projects.
• Sort through thousands of documents and compose formal letters to clients.
• Work dutifully to eliminate errors while meeting urgent tax deadlines.
University of Oregon Teaching and Learning Center
January 2011 to August 2014
• Master and explain concepts of algebra, trigonometry, and both differential and integral calculus to math students.
• Teach math applied to business and economic models and describe technical definitions and formulas in easy-to-understand language.
• Help dozens of students pass calculus and develop good study habits.